Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh, my mind is a-going!

High school has been brought up on a Montessori list I'm on. Has me thinking about dd again, especially since, in terms of American schools and programs to model after, she will be high school age this coming fall. Eek.

I found a brochure at Montessori High School at University Circle's page. It's got a lot of good information in it. I'm really starting to feel nervous about dd's high school years. lol. She is capable of so much and I want to help her challenge herself on top of just a basic education.

The Extended Essay required for grades 11 and 12 has my curiosity. I wish they would describe it more. Maybe it's a common thing in other places and I can find out by doing some research.

The importance of service: dd will have to volunteer as part of her Confirmation preparation this year, plus she does do some volunteering with her Pathfinders group. It does make me realize that while I do serve (through moderation of groups and providing information to others, updating a local homeschool group's website, etc.), she doesn't see that I do spend time in service. We'll have to discuss the ways that people can serve the community; it doesn't always mean going somewhere else!

I really like how for 9th and 10th grades, they approach the sciences in an integrated fashion. It makes so much sense.

I find it absolutely fascinating that students take Current Events and Ethical Thought in grades 9 and 10, and then Theory of Knowledge in grades 11 and 12! How cool is that?

I'm getting ahead of myself, naturally. At the same time, if I'm going to start a 4-year high school plan with her in the fall, there are certain things I ought to make sure get covered from now until the middle of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment