Saturday, January 25, 2014

Where did January go?

It seemed like yesterday that we were back into our first week of homeschooling of the year and that it was going sooooo slowly. Now, we're at the end of the month and technically the end of the first semester. Doing an assessment of the previous year is something we tend to do as New Year's approaches; I feel the impulse to do an assessment of how this school year is going so far.

Learning to manage stress and move forward with school work has been a big issue this year. Nothing that was supposed to be finished by the end of the semester is done. But that doesn't mean that I, at least, haven't learned some good lessons. I've learned to be compassionate without getting too caught up in trying to fix the situation. And, at least for the time being, there has been a determination on my high schooler's part to take somewhat charge of things. Although her stress management skills, her willingness/ability to change her thoughts about situations still need work, her level of persistence/perserverance is completely admirable.

With my jr. higher, have we got anywhere near the amount done that I had planned? (Part of my mind has broken out in laughter.) Uh, no. But we've explored some great things together and his willingness to do some work is so much better than it was. My issue is that I enjoy the subjects so much, I have been doing all of the reading (except his silent reading); I need to get him reading more for sure.

Things that need work over the next semester:
*finding balance

Well, huh. That seems to cover everything. lol. This covers the approach to subjects to cover and the time to spend on things, and the time to work vs the time to have fun and get together with others.

How about you? How has your school year been going so far? What things are you happy about? What changes, even small ones, would you like to work on making happen for the rest of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment