Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I finally used Khan Academy!

I feel like I'm so behind the times, what with so many familis using Khan Academy regularly--even my own husband has used some of the math videos for years in his junior high math classroom--and other than my briefly looking at one of the videos, I've never used them as part of our homeschooling.

Until yesterday.

And let me tell you, I think if I could have an entire video curriculum for my son, it could be just the ticket for him. The possibility of pausing, rewinding, having the visuals...

We looked specifically at the first video in the chemistry section. I took notes on the side in a notebook my son will eventually be using to take his own notes. I also added in additional notes/information and his questions. He actually had a really good question at the end of the video yesterday:

"What would happen if you could make the electrons and neutrons change places?"

I explained about electrons having no mass compared to the neutrons and what that would do. He came up with the idea of an apocalyptic movie where such a thing would happen--"It would be a two-minute long movie." (I'm not even sure it would last that long. lol)

If you haven't checked out Khan Academy yet, do so! Now if only they had Canadian or world history instead of just American and art history...

No comments:

Post a Comment